Everyone knows that automotive industry in India is one of the largest in the world with an annual production of 23.37 million vehicles in FY 2014-15. There are Several initiatives by the Government of India and the most of the automobile players in the Indian market are expecting to make India a leader in the Two Wheeler (2W) and Four Wheeler (4W) market in the world by 2020.
The first car ran on an Indian road in 1897. Coming to 1930s, cars were only imported, and in very small numbers. An automotive industry emerged in India in 1940s. Hindustan Motors was launched in 1942, Mahindra & Mahindra was established by two brothers in 1945. India’s well automobile exports have grown consistently and reached $4.5 billion in 2009, with the United Kingdom with India’s largest export market, followed by Italy, Germany, Netherlands, and South Africa. In India there are a number of top automobile companies running their operation. While here we are listing out top 10 automobile companies in India.
Tata Motors Limited India
Tata Motors Limited is a one of the Indian multinational automotive manufacturing company headquartered in Mumbai, India, and it is the subsidiary of the Tata Group. The products coming under Tata motors is passenger cars, trucks, vans, coaches, buses, construction equipment and military vehicles. It is the world’s 17th-largest motor vehicle manufacturing company, fourth-largest truck manufacturer, and second-largest bus manufacturer by numbers. Tata Motors have its auto manufacturing plants in Jamshedpur, Pantnagar, Lucknow, Sanand, Dharwad, and Pune in India, as well as in Argentina, South Africa, Thailand, and the United Kingdom.
Maruti Suzuki India Limited
Maruti Suzuki India Limited previously known as Maruti Udyog Limited, Maruti Udyog Limited was launched in February 1981. It started with the Maruti 800, based on the Suzuki Alto kei car which was the only modern car available in India at that time. At the Beginning 74% of the company was owned by the Indian government, and 26% by Suzuki of Japan. In May 2007, the government of India sold its full share to Indian financial institutions and no longer has any stake in Maruti Udyog.
Maruti Suzuki manufactures and sells popular cars that are Alto, Swift, Zen, Swift DZire, SX4 and Omni. New Delhi is the headquartered of Maruti Suzukui.
Mahindra & Mahindra
Mahindra and Mahindra Limited is an Indian multinational automobile manufacturing company that headquartered in Mumbai, India. This is one of the largest vehicle manufacturers by production in India and also it is the largest manufacturer of tractors across the world. Mahindra & Mahindra, branded of its products as Mahindra that produces SUVs, saloon cars, pickups, commercial vehicles, two wheeled motorcycles and tractors. The company also owns assembly plants in India, Mainland China (PRC), the United Kingdom, and has three assembly plants in the United States. Mahindra always maintains its business relations with foreign companies like Renault SA, France.
Mahindra produces a huge range of vehicles including MUVs, LCVs and also three wheelers. It produced over 20 models of cars including larger, multi-utility vehicles like the Scorpio and the Bolero.
General Motors India Private Limited (GM India)
General Motors is the one of the leading automobile manufacturer, They Working across cultures and nations with their dynamic network encompasses Suppliers, Design Centers, Laboratories, and Manufacturing Plants in more than 100 countries. General Motors India Private Limited is a partnership between General Motors and SAIC it is engaged in the automobile business in India. General Motors has 93% share and the remaining 7% is share owned by SAIC. It is the 5th largest automobile manufacturing company in India. General Motors India started 1996. It offering products under the Chevrolet brand in India. GMIPL have vehicle manufacturing plants in Halol, Gujarat, Talegaon Dabhade and Maharashtra.
The company headquartered at Gurgaon. GM India currently makes the Chevrolet Spark, Chevrolet Beat, Chevrolet Sail, Chevrolet Sail Hatchback, Chevrolet Cruze, Chevrolet Enjoy, Chevrolet Tavera, Chevrolet Captiva for the Indian market.
Hyundai Motors India Ltd (HMIL)
Hyundai Motor India Limited was formed in India on 6 May 1996 by the Hyundai Motor Company of South Korea. It was fully owned by subsidiary of the Hyundai Motor Company in India and it is the second largest automobile manufacturer in India. Hyundai Motors India Ltd has two manufacturing plants in Sriperumbudur, Kanchipuram district, Tamil Naduand it capable of producing 6,70,000 vehicles annual basis. The company currently exports more than 110 countries across Europe, Africa, Middle East, Latin America and Asia. HMIL currently markets 10 models that are Eon, i10, Grand i10, Xcent, Elite i20, Active i20, Verna Fludic 4S, Neo Elantra, Creta and Santa Fe.